Venturing is a youth development program of the Boy Scouts of America for young men and women who are 13 and have completed the eighth grade, or age 14 through 20 years of age. Venturing's purpose is to provide positive experiences to help young people mature and to prepare them to become responsible and caring adults.
Venturing is based on a unique and dynamic relationship between youth, adult leaders, and organizations in their communities. Local community organizations establish a Venturing crew by matching their people and program resources to the interests of young people in the community. The result is a program of exciting and meaningful activities that helps youth pursue their special interests, grow, develop leadership skills, and become good citizens. Venturing crews can specialize in a variety of avocation or hobby interests.
Goals. Young adults involved in Venturing will:
- Learn to make ethical choices over their lifetimes by instilling the values in the Scout Oath and Scout Law.
- Experience a program that is fun and full of challenge and adventure.
- Become a skilled training and program resource for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and other groups.
- Acquire skills in the areas of high adventure, sports, arts and hobbies, religious life, or Sea Scouting.
- Experience positive leadership from adult and youth leaders and be given opportunities to take on leadership roles.
- Have a chance to learn and grow in a supportive, caring, and fun environment.
Crews are youth led. Officers include: President, Administrative
Vice President, Program Vice President, Secretary, treasurer, and youth
Activities often include: Bi-monthly meetings, special field trips based on
the interest of the crew, training, events based on the six areas listed
above, and FUN! Activities are planned by the youth based on their
interests. A few examples are: Airport tour, backpacking, bike or hike,
career clinic, cave exploring, cruise (sailing), dance, Easter egg hunt
for children, family sports day, first aid training, movies, project
COPE, rock climbing, ski weekend, winter camping and many more.
To start a Crew, you need:
- A group to
sponsor the Crew
- At least 5 adults
- At least 5 youth age 14-20
(or 13 and have completed the eighth grade)
If you are interested in more information, please contact
the Council Office at 304-366-3940.
Learn more at Scouting.org