Home arrow Links arrow History of Camp Mountaineer
History of Camp Mountaineer PDF Print E-mail

Camp Mountaineer opened the gate to summer resident camping for the Scouts of Mountaineer Area Council in the summer of 1954. Since then, thousands of Scouts have enjoyed the summers they spent in this great Scouting environment of over 1,000 acres. Initially, there were six campsites: Cherokee, Mingo, Seneca, Delaware, Shawnee and Catawba. With no central dining facility, all meals were cooked patrol-style in the troop sites. The rifle range was at the site of the current Green Acres cabin, and the Trading Post was a room attached to the old maintenance building at the top of the hill. Tent platforms were not provided during the early years.

A major capital fundraising campaign during 1960-1961 throughout the council generated enough financial support to enable the construction of a winter lodge, new rifle range, and the current Dining Hall. These facilities greatly enhanced the camp program beginning in 1963. The COPE high course was opened in 1996 and redone in 2014, and the current Shooting Sports Complex was completed in 2013. The dual 330 foot zip line opened in 2014 with the dual quarter-mile zip line opening in the fall of 2015.

Thanks to the generous support of the Hazel Ruby McQuain Charitable Trust, Camp Mountaineer has completed major facility improvements that include rebuilding the COPE course, adding 20 Adirondack shelters to campsites around camp, both zip lines, a 60 foot hexagon climbing and rappelling tower, installation of bathroom facilities at select buildings, and the new Welcome Center that will greet our Scouts in the summer of 2017.

 
< Prev   Next >