Home arrow Camp arrow History of Camp Mountaineer
History of Camp Mountaineer PDF Print E-mail

A Brief History

Camp Mountaineer opened the gate to summer resident camping for the Scouts of Mountaineer Area Council in the summer of 1956. Since then, thousands of Scouts have enjoyed the summers they spent in this great Scouting environment of over 1,000 acres. Initially, there were six campsites: Cherokee, Mingo, Seneca, Delaware, Shawnee and Catawba. With no central eating facility, all meals were cooked patrol-style in the troopsites. The rifle range was at the site of the current Green Acres cabin, and the Trading Post was a room attached to the old maintenance building at the top of the hill.

A major capital fundraising campaign during 1960-1961 throughout the council generated enough financial support to enable the construction of a winter lodge, new rifle range, and the current Dining Hall. These facilites greatly enhanced the camp program beginning in 1963. The current Shooting Sports Complex was completed in 2013 and the high ropes C.O.P.E. course was redone in 2014.

 
< Prev   Next >